Saturday, December 19, 2009

I'll Be Home For Christmas . . . Eventually

For people who travel as much as we do, we can be remarkably stupid.

I knew yesterday that D.C. (our port of arrival) was bracing for "the storm of the century."

La lala lala.

I looked at weather.com and cnn.com and commented about how making the connection to the Ancestral Village was certainly going to be dicey.

Got up this morning, dragged our bags through the Metro to the train, congratulated myself that the worst part of the trip was now over, and took the train out to the airport.

Only to discover that the flight has been canceled. Or postponed until tomorrow.

All of which I could have figured out by looking at . . . wait for it . . . you'll never guess . . . ready? . . . THE AIRLINE'S WEBSITE.

In my defense, The Spouse didn't think of it either.

Between the two of us, I don't think we've ever had a flight canceled. Delayed? Sure. But never canceled.

It was originating here, for Pete's sake. If the weather here had been like D.C.'s I would have called the airline.

Duh-oh!

So we had a nice round trip out to the airport and back.

Everyone was hungry and cranky by then (who can eat breakfast the morning of a long trip?), so we went out for lunch.

Now I'm going to have a little nap because the airline told us to be back at the airport tomorrow at 8:30 for a noon flight.

I plan to be there at 8:00.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

could you check in your luggage?

The Expatresse said...

Nope. But I'd be afraid things would get stolen if left there that long.

Elisabeth said...

Just spoke with my parents (in DC area). Sounds like you'll be lucky to get out tomorrow, too. It's a blizzard! I'd call before lugging the bags back to Sh***ymetova again tomorrow. UGH...

valentina said...

Oh I am SOOOOO sorry. What a total drag. The roads are clear here today although there is a light blanket of snow everywhere. Winter storm warnings through tomorrow... I may skip going out to the gym until Monday...There are 4-6 INCHES predicted by tomorrow...

But only 1-2 INCHES for Cleveland... Go figure?

There are winter storm warnings out everywhere and it is worst on the E. coast, alas...

In DC there is indeed heavy snow...18-19 INCHES possible through tomorrow and forget Philadelphia BUT PGH has only light snow and not much predicted...

NYC says a possibility of 12-14 INCHES through Sunday!

Boston 4-8 INCHES...

But there is only a light snow of 1-2 INCHES snow CHICAGO so maybe you could fly through there? Or Cleveland... OH shouldn't be bad if you can just skip the E. coast but who knows what visibility would be so I just hope you all get here soon!

When you do, call me and I'll see when I can come up there, depending on the weather...

I really hope you get out tomorrow and can skip the entire E. coast. What are your chances of being able to re-route through Chicago, Cleveland or even Detroit which only has 2 " predicted?

Compared to the E. coast OH is looking pretty good... at least Columbus is... But down here we are still expecting 4-6 INCHES... ALAS...

How exasperating for you all I am sure... I do so hope you get out tomorrow and can re-route...

Stay safe and warm... xov