Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Have to Ask for a WHAT?

Remember my shower problem?

Well, The Spouse, after careful consideration, realized that he is perfectly capable of replacing the shredded hose that connects the tap with the shower head. Last night he even left work a little early in hopes of getting to the hardware store before they close.

Alas: they close at 7:30 and he got there at 8:00.

So he took the thing apart, handed me the hose, and told me how to say it in Russian.

Are you ready?

The Russian word for hose is шланг.

That's right. Say SCHLONG.

I cracked up like a prepubescent school boy.

I need a new schlong. My old one doesn't work.

It's sooooo juvenile, I know. But I just can't say it with a straight face.

But I did it! I went to the hardware store, I showed the lady my old, tattered шланг, and she sold me a new one.

Baboo carried it home in a bag.

On a more mature note, I picked up these cards today.

I love Mr. Cat and His Catfish. The title of the piece translates to something like "Here Is Happiness."

And the animals! The title of this one is "Symbols."


Click on the images for a better view of them.

11 comments:

valentina said...

Happiness for the cat maybe! xov

mosaikmum said...

Love the cat and his fish!

Tina in CT said...

I also laughed out loud reading your post and could picture you doubled over in the bathroom when your husband told you how to pronounce the hose in Russian!!!!!

Will he fix it tonight?

Carmen said...

"And poor Mr. Bix! Every morning at six,
poor Mr. Bix has his Borfin to fix!
It doesn't seem fair. It just doesn't seem right,
but his Borfin just seems to go shlump every night.
It shlumps in a heap, sadly needing repair.
Bix figures it's due to the local night air.
It takes hm all day to unshlump it. And then,
The night air comes back, and it shlumps once again!
So don't you feel blue. Don't get down in the dumps.
You're lucky you don't have a Borfin that shlumps."

Dr. Seuss, 1973

The Expatresse said...

Da! I have a working schlong.
:-)

turan_dot said...

but the vowel sound there is A, not O

The Expatresse said...

M: I know . . . but we would pronounce it like "ah." It's clearly related to the Yiddish word.

turan_dot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
turan_dot said...

I will ask my parents, they still speak some Yiddish:)

kate said...

Love the cat card!

Don't think I could've asked for a new (schlong). I think I would have just asked for a new "ето" and shown the old one. ;>

And, YES--keep the cats away from the kindle! There is no repair. But it's nice when it works...except it made my thumb tired (I'm a wimp).

Anonymous said...

Louis Vuitton,LV Luggage,LV Wallets,LV Agendas,LV Belts,LV Shoes,LV Accessories,Gucci,Gucci Wallets,Gucci Shoes,Marc Jacobs handbags,Marni handbags,Miu Miu handbags,Mulberry handbags,Prada handbags,Thomaswylde handbags,TOD handbags,Bottega Veneta handbags,D&G handbags,Dior handbags,YSL handbags,Coach handbags