Friday, January 8, 2010

Here We Go Again

So.

We are flying from Columbus to Moscow via Washington DC today. In theory, anyhow.

At the Columbus airport for a 2:15 flight. BUT, and this is a very big but, a mechanical issue causes us to be delayed.

Then the snow that is falling (Columbus was expecting 1 to 3 inches today) requires de-icing of the plane. Then people in the plane begin missing connections and wanting off the plane. This means paperwork by the flight crew and unloading of luggage.

Then the snowfall was too heavy to allow us to take off. Then more people decided to bail out. Then we needed another round of de-icing.

Result: Three hour delay, missed connection in DC, and a night in the Dulles Holiday Inn. This time on our nickel because United determined that we were delayed by WEATHER even though we would have left on time and made our connection if we had not had the mechanical issue.

I have a spare pair of underwear. The hotel gave us complimentary toothbrushes and toothpaste. I some sort of wipes to remove my mascara tonight, but have no makeup, other than lip gloss, for tomorrow. I guess we are all sleeping commando.

I don't have a comb.

Maybe I can get one at the front desk in the morning.

6 comments:

Susan17 said...

Oh, dear! Not again!

valentina said...

Jeez, Mercury just isn't your friend is he? Well at least you have the laptop which makes biding time a bit better, and I am sure that Baboo has a book but how about Skittles? What an all around drag for all of you. I hope the next time we read a missive it is from the comfort of your own cozy apartment in Moscow while being entertained by those two wicked felines.

There is an expectation of more snow back here but not more than an inch in DC and a dusting in Moscow so I am hoping that the rest of your journey goes smoothly.

Fortunately for me I do not have school tomorrow and my students all have plenty to keep them busy until our next class on Tuesday. But the university is blanketed and prettier from a distance than it is trudging through the mess. So I will stay safe and warm with the kitty cats here and wait to read of your continuing adventures. Many hugs and kisses to you all... xov

Dawn said...

well I hope tomorrow is better in the flying world. With the no carry on rule, makes it a bit hard for lay overs.. good luck

Tina in CT said...

Your travelling over this trip sure has not been easy. I always have a toothbrush and paste in my wheeled carry-on but no clothes. Bummer that the airlines would not spring for the hotel. Hope your next leg today will go smoothly back to Moscow.

Elisabeth said...

Remind me to never make travel plans with you. :)

Had we known, you could have driven about an hour and stayed at my parents' farm. Keep that in mind for next time you traveling through Dulles. :)

TRex said...

Good luck!