Monday, June 1, 2009

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

This is the Old Washer/Dryer combo. Back in its Salad Days.


This is the Heathen Infidel Washer-Only Washing Machine. No cat in its right mind would deign to set a paw inside this. Plus, it leaks like a sieve. Note the full-to-overflowing laundry basket to the right. One of many now in our apartment, I must confess.


You know how the shoemaker's kids go barefoot? Well, while the Spouse is, I believe (and this is not just fawning adoration speaking) a damn fine lawyer, in his secret heart of hearts, he hates conflict almost as much as he hates to ask for anything.

He doesn't mind if I ask for things, however.

"So you don't mind if I send the landlords an email?" I asked this afternoon, because I honestly believe they had no idea Man Friday did not purchase a washer/dryer combo.

Blessing received, I banged out the following:

I know you haven't been in on all the details of the Death of the Washer/Dryer, but it has been going on for a long time now. The first washer repairman (and there have been three) came in late April (I found notes from May 2 suggesting it had already been a problem for a while). So we have been limping along for some time now.

And although I was thrilled when the new machine arrived on Friday, my heart sank when I realized that it was only a washing machine and not a washer/dryer combo like the apartment originally came with.

We have both a European washer and a separate European dryer that I sent to live in the basement of our house in Ohio because Apartment 31 had a set. No, my set would not have fit in the bathroom, but the washer would have. And there's plenty of room in the kitchen for the dryer.

So now that we find we have a problem with the replacement washer (the drum housing is fatally cracked and it leaks badly), is there any chance we can use this opportunity to trade the washer for a washer/dryer combo? I do a lot of laundry, and I loathe ironing. Having a dryer function cuts the need to iron to practically nothing. The Spouse sure would appreciate not having to listen to me bitch, goodness knows. Have pity on him, if not me.

I sent this at 2:00 this afternoon.

By 7:30 this evening I received this response:

I am so sorry to hear about this development. Man Friday is on top of it and of course we too wanted a machine that also has a dryer function. He will be in touch with you right away and hopefully get this sorted without delay.

Again, we are so sorry for the inconvenience!

Now, a cat-pee fouled bathroom rug remains festering on my balcony. When I have a newly laundered rug, I'll let you know.

But this is progress.

I think they honestly expected Man Friday would find a comparable machine to replace what had died. And I honestly believe that no one made it clear to Man Friday exactly what he was supposed to go out and buy.

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Yeah! Your email worked. Let's hope a new combo is at your door tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Tina in CT said...

OMG! I just went back to your blog and saw your cat in the washer. Scary sight thinking what could happen.

valentina said...

Well wonders never cease! I must say you were certainly far more polite than I would have been!! Like I said, after you leave, that washer would still be there and not a combo so that would be a pain for the next tenants too!

Anyhow I hope it is all resolved soon and the Festival of Laundry will begin again and you once again as Queen will reign supreme!! Love from Ohio where we have and you have a washer and dryer, and huge, might I add!!! But lust in your heart as you may, it will be here when you come in July and those 2 months will sail by as you launder to your heart's desire and return to the tiny Combo of Moscow. BUT it WILL be there and it WILL work and you WILL be spoiled but adjust and be happy once again to be back in Moscow with your spouse and kitty cats!!